CQL Spring 7 on 7 Football Rules
Game Rules Equipment & Field Setup
- Flags must be contrasting color to team colors, be at least 12 inches long and attach to belt with Velcro strips.
- Mouth guards are required.
- Football sizes: 7U/9U: K2, 11U: TDJ, 14U TDY – Home team to provide game ball.
- The 7×7 game will be played on a 40 yard field (100 yard field split in half) with two-20 minute halves (running clock).
- There is a 25-second play clock in between plays.
- All possessions will start on the 40 yard line and the offensive team can achieve only one first down when they reach the 20 yard line.
- The offense must have a center to snap the ball to the quarterback (under center or shotgun).
- Only pass plays are allowed and the quarterback only has four seconds to pass the ball.
- Double passes are allowed as long as the first pass is within four seconds and the second pass must be a forward pass.
- The center is eligible to receive a pass.
- A fumble is considered a dead ball. No blocking or contact is allowed.
- Offensive receivers not catching the ball must stop when the ball is caught.
7 and Under Only
- There will be a “No Run/Pass Only Zone” from 10 Yard Line to Goal Line.
- One running play is allowed per possession from the 40 yard line to the 10 yard line.
- In the case of penalty on your one rush play the penalty results in forfeiture of rush option.
- Any Offensive Penalty within the “No Run/Pass Only Zone” will result in forfeiture of Rush-Option if still available, regardless of ball placement.
- Touchdown – 6 points
- Extra point from 10 yard line – 1 point
- Extra point from 15 yard line – 2 points
- Interceptions – Dead ball at the point of interception. Intercepting team gets ball at 20 yard line.
- Overtime – Each team has a chance to score in each overtime from the 20 yard line until a winner is declared. Maximum of 3 overtimes.
- Tackling or other contact is not allowed.
- The defensive player must make an effort to pull the flag of the offensive player.
- The defense can’t rush the QB.
- Offensive penalties include: blocking, pass interference, unnecessary roughness, false start. Penalties will result in a 10 yard loss and loss of down.
- Defensive penalties include: pass interference and unnecessary roughness. Penalties result in a 10 yard gain for the offense and an automatic first down.
*All rules pertaining to disciplinary action will revert to the CQL Bylaws.